Monday, April 16, 2012

Battle of the West

For the last 3 years I have been looking forward to the day I could watch Top flight AFL in the West of Sydney. Having moved to Sydney nearly 6 years ago (can believe it!!), apart from Family and Friends, I have missed AFL the most. I am a sports nut. I will sit on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon watching sport, and credit to my wife, generally I am allowed too. I follow Melbourne Storm in the NRL, Adelaide in the AFL, Melbourne Victory in the A-League and always followed the NBL, but since the South East Melbourne Magic nor Southern Dragons aren't around any longer, I have changed to the Sydney Kings for the last few years. 

I was a member for a short while with Adelaide, and now Sydney Kings, but could not bring myself to be a member of the Sydney Swans. I find their football boring, but to get to the SCG is a chore! ENTER THE GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY GIANTS!!! I wont lie, I think Tasmania should have got a team into the AFL before either Gold Coast OR GWS but the decision is made, and it looks to be the right one.

Now this team is based in Blacktown or more so the WEST of Sydney. Although that is the case, they are focused heavily on the Western Part of Sydney, and have even spotted them across the road in Panania having a coaching clinic which is great!! (Especially as it is on an Rugby League Rectangle!). There has been much made of the war of the west between NRL and AFL, but in fact there is not really a war, just NRL finally have a rocket to get their game into gear. Support local, junior teams and development, put money into facilities, and re-focus on their engagement with the local community groups.

So after 3 years of waiting, the GWS Giants have gone from an entity, to the NEAFL (NSW/QLD/NT Version of the VFL) landed in the AFL and have hit 8366 Members (as 16/4/2012), and shortly will play at their new AFL home ground, Skoda Stadium which will be the 42nd venue to host an AFL main season match!

The fact that no one gives them a chance this year is great. Same as everyone (including me) thought about Gold Coast last year and they walked away with a couple of wins! I joined as a member for a few reasons.
a) I didnt want to give Swans my $ and would be hard to get to SCG with a family
b) Adelaide would only play 1 game per year in Sydney - although they havent been here in 3 years.
c) Coached by the greatest coach in the AFL, if not on par with the best in Australia across ANY code/sport/discipline.
d) Watch kids develop into a Chris Judd 10years down the track (Hopefully one club players)
e) I get to watch AFL with my St George Dragons loving wife, and our little 5month old boy. I want to be able to teach him about all different sports and this was key for me.

At Blacktown on Sunday I saw the West Coast Eagles win (as expected) against the Giants. I wont call them  the Young Giants as some people have been, as we have some experience in there, but a developing team that are playing against seasoned bodies.

I cant wait to continue to watch them grow and learn how to use the ball in certain situations and be able to sit up on the wing of the grandstand at Skoda Stadium looking out over the players as they lift the premiership cup........ a nice pipe dream, but it will happen. 

Squawk done.







No comments:

Post a Comment